Friday, November 13, 2009

The Cuban-South African Connection

Hello!

So I've finally finished all my final assignments for the semester! This weekend i'm going to just chill....ie. hang out with my girlfriends, watch Desparate Housewives (though we never really took a break from that), do my hair, and go salsa dancing. I think I deserve it after a busy semester.

Monday......it's back to business. Classwork is done, so now it's time for me to move on to my thesis research.

My thesis research is going to be on medicine in Cuba. Cuba is world renowned for medical care. Cuban docs travel the world, providing care in African, Asian, European, and Latin American countries. They even offered assistance to a North American country after a huge hurricanne that that destroyed a city and threatened the health and lives of millions of people. That country turned down the offer!

Within Cuba, they have one of the lowest HIV/AIDS rates worldwide, lowest infant morality rates, and health care is free! In comparison to many countries, (ie. the US) free health care is amazing.

So you might be wondering WHY I'd be researching Cuban medicine when I'm going to school in South Africa. Well THERE IS a connection. Cuba has a program that offers free medical school education to young people from "disadvantaged" backgrounds or from marginalized communities. The deal is that in return for FREE medical education, those students must go back and work in their own communities.


Cuba offers these scholarships to students all over the world. I personally know of students from South Africa, America, Zimbabwe, Columbia, and Nigeria, who are in med school in Cuba. (The pic at the right is of Honduran doctors who had trained in Cuba) Anyway, my thesis research is going to focus on the experience of South African students who attend medical school in Cuba. So that's what I'll be working on for the next several months.


Anyway, my friends, I have to go. But I'll be back to chat soon.


This is the ELAM, the Cuban medical school where scholarship recipients spend their 1st two ears of medical training.

No comments:

Post a Comment